Skip to content

To say the least…

July 24, 2011

  It was a long night.

  These past few days, Thomas [5] has been sick. He had a small fever on Friday night; nothing to really worry about. Yesterday, he had only a slight fever, but didn’t feel like moving around much. I tried to keep him away from his siblings so they wouldn’t get sick too–it spreads fast in our house. But last night was when it really started up.

  At 6:30 P.M., his fever was 104 degrees exactly.

  Thomas has never been a good sleeper anyway, but last night was awful. We got all the kids to bed around 8:15, like usual. I went to the kitchen to make some granola [I love my granola–have to have it every morning] and John went downstairs to catch up on some computer work. At 8:30, Lindsay [12] came out to the kitchen to get a glass of water. This isn’t unusual; in fact, it’s routine. Lindsay will generally stay in the kitchen for a few minutes after getting her water, helping me if I’m cooking something or just standing and talking to me. It’s a nice time we get to spend together–it’s so hard to get one-on-one time with each of my kids–and I make no objection since my four oldest are allowed to read until 9:00, which means she would be up anyway.

  Well, no sooner had she left to go back to bed then Lauren [4] came out. She needed her doll, which she had left on the kitchen table [do dolls go on the kitchen table??]. When she discovered I was making granola, of course she had to eat a raisin, even though she had already brushed her teeth.

  Lauren finally went back to bed, and I finished making the granola, put it in the oven, and got out my lesson plan book to plan for school beginning [we’re starting August 1, a week from tomorrow, and I do not feel ready!]. By this time, it was about 9:20.

  I had barely picked up my pen when Jackson [7] came into the kitchen with the news that Thomas needed me. Jackson and Thomas were both supposed to be deep in slumber, a fact which I reminded Jackson of. He told me that the boys were trying to go to sleep, but Thomas was thrashing around and almost fell out of bed.

  That got to me. My boys have bunk beds, and Thomas has a top bunk. I went back to the boys’ room with Jackson, where I found every one of my six boys still awake. I sat with Thomas for a minute, then went back to the kitchen, where I got in a whole TEN MINUTES of school planning before George [8] marched into the kitchen and LOUDLY announced, “Thomas REALLY just can’t sleep, and he’s making us not sleep too.”

  I finally made Thomas a pallet on the living room floor. John had come back upstairs by this time, and I explained the whole thing to him and he agreed to be a quiet presence in the living room.

  Thomas eventually went to sleep and I continued with school planning and then eventually went to bed. All was well until 2 A.M…WHEN…the WHOLE house was woken with one single, loud, clap of thunder.

  John [such a wonderful husband!] went into the living room [without my asking him!] to check on Thomas. Sadie [one of our three dogs–the only one with severe thunderstorm phobia as well as anxiety issues in general] had, of course, come racing into our room, panicked. She walked right by me [wish I could get her to heel so nicely when it’s sunny] as I checked on the kids. Sara Grace [almost 2 months] and Lauren had both woken up and were both crying, but all the boys [minus Thomas] were sleeping like rocks.

  Eventually everyone settled down and we all went back to sleep. There was never any more thunder, and never a drop of rain.

  At 3:00, Thomas woke up again and came to our room, complaining that he was hot and wanted a drink. He probably really was very hot–not just from his fever, but something is wrong with our air conditioner.

  It took a while to get him settled down. Sadie had started acting all nervous again, too, so I did the same thing I always do when she’s anxious at night–put her on a leash, wrap the leash loosely around my hand so I’ll be awakened if she goes anywhere, and go to sleep on the couch. When she’s on the leash, she usually settles down.

  All of this to say… I probably got about five hours of sleep last night.

  And after I write this long post, complaining about how I didn’t get any sleep last night and everyone was waking me up and Thomas is still sick and grumpy besides…

  I’m going to say that children are a blessing.

4 Comments leave one →
  1. Kathryn permalink
    July 24, 2011 7:46 PM

    Wow, Nicole, you had a looong night. Joshua and Emma have both been sick, too, but they’re doing better now. Rhonda told me this morning at church where you and Thomas were; tell Thomas that his cousins are praying for him [and his aunt and uncle too, of course!].

    And I definitely know what you mean about Sadie…Charlie has gotten sooo bad with storms. He’s been fine this week, though–I’m glad we haven’t had any storms, even though we really need some rain.

    See you Tuesday–the kids are looking forward to it!

    • July 24, 2011 7:48 PM

      My kids are, too. Hope Thomas is feeling better by then–I think he will be, though. He’s been feeling more like eating today, which is a good sign.

  2. Nicole permalink
    July 26, 2011 9:26 PM

    Hi, Nicole,
    This is Nicole from the Scary Thread on ParentsConnect (nicole77435). You have a great blog! I had been wondering how you handled putting your kids to bed, since you have such a large age range. That makes sense, though–putting them all to bed at the same time, but letting the older ones read for a while. Do your older kids have lights on? Does that keep the younger ones awake?
    I seem to be having the same problem as Zabs did awhile back–I can log into PC and read the Scary Thread, but I can’t post on the thread. I know I’ve been absent for a couple of days now, so that’s the reason why. 🙂

  3. July 26, 2011 11:41 PM

    I posted on the Scary Thread earlier telling everyone that you’re not able to post, so they are now all aware of your predicament 🙂
    Only one of my boys [Mark, 13] is old enough to stay up reading at night. He has a top bunk in the corner of the room; he usually uses a flashlight. My girls have regular beds; they each have a small lamp on their bedside table that they use. Jayne and Lauren [6 and 4] are used to the lights and usually can go right to sleep.
    How is everything on your end?

Leave a note for Nicole to see!

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: